The Missouri Department of Conservation will host a variety of programs at the Missouri State Fair
Experience nature with the Missouri Department of Conservation at the Missouri State Fair in Sedalia August 11-21.
Visit the MDC Conservation Building from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and the Xplor Zone for Kids from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. to see the MDC’s moving snake exhibit, a new macroinvertebrate exhibit, and more. Ask MDC staff questions about conservation, get educational materials, and have fun!
Visitors can once again take part in MDC’s Agents of Discovery mission at the show. Agents of Discovery is a mobile game app that uses augmented reality to connect people to nature. Download the State Fair mission and earn a special badge for exploring nature in and around the MDC building. Agents of Discovery is available for download through the App Store for Apple products or Google Play for Android devices.
Be sure to visit the MDC Community and Private Lands staff in the Agriculture Building to learn how to manage your property to increase wildlife habitat and attract pollinators.
MDC notes that the aquariums in the center of the conservation building are being repaired and there will be no fish on display during the fair season. Other aquariums in the building are filled with an assortment of native fish for visitors to view.
Take advantage of these other free conservation-related programs at the MDC Outdoor Pavilion:
- RAPTORS LIVE: See a live eagle and other birds of prey during the Raptors of Missouri presentation with the Dickerson Park Zoo on August 11 and 20 at 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- FISH FRY: Enjoy a fish cooking and cleaning demonstration on August 12 and 13 at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- INVASIVE INVADERS: Help MDC eliminate invasive plants and animals from Missouri. Exhibits and activities will take place on August 12 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the MoDOT lawn next to the MDC pavilion.
- CANINE CONSERVATION UNIT: Meet the dogs specially trained for conservation work on August 15 and 16 at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- WILD JOBS: Find out what it’s like to work for MDC on August 17 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- COMMUNITY CONSERVATION: Conservation also happens inside the city limits! Discover the impact of trees and nature on your community on August 18 at 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- HISTORICAL SAWMILL: See a scale model sawmill on August 20 at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- CAMP KITCHEN: Learn to cook with Dutch ovens, pie irons, foil packs and baking on a stick on August 21 at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.